12 Jul Be a Smarter Parker
We have received a number of complaints about illegally and inconsiderately parked vehicles near our school which coincide with the school’s start/finish times and in particular when there are whole school events such as sports day.
This not only causes inconvenience to local residents but also causes road safety issues, including danger to pedestrians crossing roads. As we have numerous assemblies and events between now and the end of term we would like to respectfully remind our parents/carers to be considerate to our neighbours.
Although we encourage walking and cycling to school, we acknowledge that it is essential that vehicles are used, by some, to provide transport for journeys to school. We must ask you to take care that your parking does not cause inconvenience to our local residents. Nor should it cause danger to passing pedestrians, cyclists or traffic, even if this means you need to park a little further from the school gates.
Please ensure that you obey the following rules which form part of the requirements of the Highway Code:
DO NOT stop or park:
- near a school entrance
- anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
- at or near a bus or tram stop or taxi rank
- opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space
- near the brow of a hill or hump bridge
- opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle
- where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles
- in front of an entrance to a property
- on a bend
- where you would obstruct cyclists’ use of cycle facilities except when forced to do so by stationary traffic.
- You MUST NOT stop or park on a pedestrian crossing, including the area marked by the zig-zag lines.
Local Authority parking enforcement teams, who have CCTV equipped vehicles, frequently patrol the area. Offenders will be notified, and where appropriate, penalty charge notices will be issued.
We need to keep disruption by school related traffic to an absolute minimum and by following the above rules you will not only be reducing congestion, but also improving safety for your children.
Thank you for your cooperation.